The Whispers of Charleston

Come walk the streets with me, as we make stops throughout the city. As we stop I'll point out everything, tell you every story, every haunting, and give you the history behind what we are looking at and where we are. So come stroll with me as we flip over every stone, but remember not every stone may want to be uncovered and have its hauntings exposed!

SOCIAL MEDIA

Come Join the Facebook page and Group at Whispers of Charleston. Go check out the Youtube channel. And don't forget to email me at charlestonwhispers@gmail.com. And come join the Patreon Page and join Scrappy on his Charleston missions.

Episodes

3 hours ago

25 min

Boone Hall Plantation is a historic district located in Mount Pleasant, Charleston County, South Carolina, United States and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The plantation is one of America's oldest plantations still in operation, as it has continually produced agricultural crops for over 320 years. The majority of this labor, as well as the construction of the buildings and its characteristic bricks, was performed by enslaved African Americans, aside from the main building, which was built in 1936. For this reason, the site was named one of the African American Historic Places in South Carolina in 2009. The historic district includes a 1936 Colonial Revival-style dwelling, and multiple significant landscape features, including an allée of southern live oak trees, believed to have been planted in 1743. The site is open for public tours. 

16 hours ago

1 min

Calvary Episcopal Church was built on this site by the Episcopal Diocese to provide a church for black communicants. Before the church was finished, however a mob who objected to a separate church for Blacks marched upon it. The mob was halted by James L. Petigru, the prominent Charleston attorney and Unionist, who persuaded them to submit the question to the arbitration of a committee. The committee decided that a church for Blacks was a worthy project and the church was completed. The simple Classical Revival structure may have been designed by Charleston architect E.B. White. The congregation left the structure in 1940. It was subsequently sold to the Housing Authority of Charleston. which demolished it in 1961.

3 days ago

2 min

This notable antebellum house, two and a half stories of stuccoed brick on a raised basement. was built by attorney Francis Quinlan McHugh. Interesting details include vermiculated quoins. The building was preserved by incorporation into the Robert Mills Manor public housing proiect in 1938-39.
64 & 66 Beaufain Street
Francis Quinlan McHugh Tenements Constructed c. 1850-1853: rehabilitated mid- 1980s
Thomas builder These two three-story Greek Revival stvle brick houses with brownstone lintels were built for investment purposes by Francis Quinlan McHugh. McHugh also built 63 Beaufain St. The facade of 64 Beaufain fell in 1981 and was rebuilt. Today 64 Beaufain is a triplex unit, while 66 Beaufain remains single family.
68 Beaufain Street
Constructed 1851-52 Thomas Divine, builder Thomas Divine. a mason and contractor of the neighboring Francis O. McHugh Tenements. built this two-story brick single house in 1851-52 as his residence. The pressed tin cornices on the parapet and windows are later additions, probably from the late 19th century.

4 days ago

3 min

This site was part of the Glebe Lands, 17 acres given to the minister of the Church of England in Charles Town and his successors in office "forever by Affra Coming in 1698. The first parsonage of St. Philip's Episcopal Church was built here shortly thereafter. The Rev. Alexander Garden. rector of St. Philip's and Commissary of the Bishop of London, opened a school for black and Native American children on the Glebe Lands near the parsonage in 1744. Taught by two black youths under the rector's supervision, the school remained in operation for 22 years. The parsonage remained in use until 1770, when a new parsonage was built a block north (now 6 Glebe St.). St. Philip's and St. Michael's churches divided the Glebe Lands in 1797. The southern portion, including the old parsonage, was conveyed to St. Michael's.
The Normal School for the training of female teachers was built on the site of the old parsonage in 1858. Edward C. Jones designed the large and impressive building, which had an arcaded front portico and a high mansard dome. It was built by contractor Beniamin Lucas. The school was later named for Col. Christopher Gustavus Memminger, who was the most active participant in the start of normal schools in South Carolina and a leader in establishing Charleston's public school system in the 1850s. Memminger also served as Secretary of the Treasury for the Confederate States of America. It remained a high school for girls until 1950. Memminger Auditorium was designed by Charleston architect Albert Simons. who drew inspiration from 19th century architect Robert Mills. Its features echo those of Mills' many South Carolina courthouses and the Fireproof Building. This public facility built by the WPA during the Great Depression was originally built as a multi-purpose auditorium and gymnasium for Memminger High School, the city's premiere girls public high school located next door from the 1850s until the 1950s.
In 2008, Memminger reopened after a complete renovation by the City of Charleston and Spoleto Festival USA. It is now the venue that supports the Memminger Concert Series of the annual Spoleto Festival held during May and June in Charleston. Memminger Auditorium is available for rent throughout the year for performing arts. special events, weddings and corporate functions. The 10,000 square foot "black box' space can be set up with or without theatrical seating,

Beaufain Street

5 days ago

5 days ago

1 min

Beaufain Street was platted as part of Harleston Village in 1170. it followed the north line of the original Grand Model of Charles Town and of the Mazyck Lands, which was also the South boundary of the Glebe Lands and the Harleston Lands. The street was named after Hector Berenger De Beaufain a French Huguenot who came to South Carolina around 1735 and lived here until his death in 1766,

Carolina Rice

6 days ago

6 days ago

8 min

Questions concerning early rice cultivation in South Carolina, including its introduction. country of origin, and who should be credited with its introduction. remain a matter of speculation. Prized in 19th century global markets, Carolina Gold Rice probably replaced an earlier white rice grown before the American Revolution. Robert Allston of Chicora Wood Plantation in Georgetown notes that Carolina Gold Rice was "planted by Col. Mayham on Santee. in 1685" and that a common white rice "is the variety that constituted the earlier crops of the country.' White rice may have been the "Seed from Madagascar? given by Captain Thurber around 1685 to Dr. Henrv Woodward. Numerous other varieties were brought to the states and Carolina Gold mav have resulted from crosses of those varieties or it may have been introduced as a distinct variety - but by whom. when and from where is not known.
Rice initially was grown as an upland crop. Flooding from rain-fed reservoirs, formed by embanking freshwater swamps, and artesian wells was used for this early non-tidal cultivation.
Historians have argued that slaves from the rice- growing region of West Africa made significant contributions to the early technology of rice culture in South Carolina. By the mid-15th century, rice cultivation was widespread in West Africa from Senegambia to Lake Chad,

7 days ago

3 min

Washington, the Village of Washington was laid out from King Street westward, North of Line Street and South of the Washington Race Course ( now Hampton Park) 
For Wraggsboroh/ Wragg Lands/ and Wragg Pasture, I'm gonna write it all together, 
Wraggborough was part of the extensive land- holdings of Joseph Wragg, partitioned among his heirs in 1758. John Wragg, the eldest son, re- ceived as part of his portion the 79 acres between the Broad Path and the Cooper River, which be- came known as Wraggborough. John Wragg died in 1796, leaving no children. His siblings and their children had the 79 acres surveved and laid into streets and lots, by Joseph Purcell, surveyor, in 1801. Streets were named for Joseph Wragg's children: John, Judith, Mary, Ann, Charlotte., Elizabeth, Henrietta. Chapel Street was name for a chapel which was to have been built on a small square at the intersection of Elizabeth, Chapel, and John streets. Wragg Mall and Wragg Square were given to the public by the Wragg heirs. Joseph Wragg was granted by the Lords Proprie- tors. in 1715. a tract of 23 acres bounded by pre- sent-day King. Calhoun. Smith and Vanderhorst streets. In the division of his estate, the tract fell to his daughters Charlotte, wife of John Poaug, and Elizabeth, wife of Peter Manigault, except for the block of 6.25 acres between King and St. Philip streets, which had been sold previously to the Commissioners of Fortifications and after- wards vested in the City of Charleston. The Or- phan House was built on that block in the 1790s. The land bounded by present-day Calhoun, King, Beaufain and St. Philip streets was also part of the legacy of Joseph Wragg. In the division of his estate it was allotted to his daughter Henrietta. who married her cousin William Wragg.

Rhettsbury

Jul 28, 2026

Jul 28, 2026

1 min

William Rhett, scourge of the pirates, acquired The Point Plantation in 1712 and renamed it Rhettsbury. The plantation was divided into streets and lots in 1773 for this great granddaughters Susannah and Mary Hasell, who married Parker Quince and John Ancrum. 

Jul 27, 2026

1 min

Now part of Ansonborough, the Village of Middlesex ( also known as Gadsdens Green and Federal Green) was laid out by Christopher Gadsden, the Charlestown merchant who became the leader of the Mechanicks party during the Revolution. Gadsden, who made a fortune trading with the frontier by 1761, closed his stores at Georgetown and began to develop this suburb, and to build the largest wharf in America in front of it. Gadsden had the area laid out into six wharf lots and 197 building lots. The Suburb was bounded by present day Calhoun, Anson, and Laurens Streets and the Cooper River. Gadsden filled the marsh and in cooperation with his neighbor to the north, Alexander Mazyck, straightened the creek between them by digging a canal which followed the course of present day Calhoun Street, termination about where Calhoun crosses Washington Street. The block of Calhoun between Washington and East Bay, where there is still an open space was intended as  market place.
 
The Village of the New Market was generally north of Line Street and east of King Street. Except for the extreme southern portion, it remained largely undeveloped until the early part of this century. Radcliffeboro, Thomas Radcliffe acquired the tract of land now bounded by King, Vanderhorst, Smith and Radcilffe streets and had it surveyed in 1796. After Radcliffe was lost at sea in 1806, development of the suburb was continued by his widow Mrs. Lucretia Radcliffe and other heirs.
 
Come Join the Facebook page at Whispers of Charleston : https://www.facebook.com/share/1Kwy2wNjtH/ 
Follow the Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/whispers_of_charleston?utm_source=qr&igsh=MXY2dnNma3NycHF0ZQ== 
Come Join the Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/share/g/1HTUeeqqK4/ 
Subscribe, Like, and Share the videos: www.youtube.com/@WhispersofCharleston 
Join the Patreon Family : https://patreon.com/CharlestonWhispers?utm_medium=unknown&utm_source=join_link&utm_campaign=creatorshare_creator&utm_content=copyLink 

Middlesex

Jul 26, 2026

Jul 26, 2026

2 min

Now part of Ansonborough, the Village of Middlesex ( also known as Gadsdens Green and Federal Green) was laid out by Christopher Gadsden, the Charlestown merchant who became the leader of the Mechanicks party during the Revolution. Gadsden, who made a fortune trading with the frontier by 1761, closed his stores at Georgetown and began to develop this suburb, and to build the largest wharf in America in front of it. Gadsden had the area laid out into six wharf lots and 197 building lots. The Suburb was bounded by present day Calhoun, Anson, and Laurens Streets and the Cooper River. Gadsden filled the marsh and in cooperation with his neighbor to the north, Alexander Mazyck, straightened the creek between them by digging a canal which followed the course of present day Calhoun Street, termination about where Calhoun crosses Washington Street. The block of Calhoun between Washington and East Bay, where there is still an open space was intended as  market place.
 
Come Join the Facebook page at Whispers of Charleston : https://www.facebook.com/share/1Kwy2wNjtH/ 
Follow the Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/whispers_of_charleston?utm_source=qr&igsh=MXY2dnNma3NycHF0ZQ== 
Come Join the Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/share/g/1HTUeeqqK4/ 
Subscribe, Like, and Share the videos: www.youtube.com/@WhispersofCharleston 
Join the Patreon Family : https://patreon.com/CharlestonWhispers?utm_medium=unknown&utm_source=join_link&utm_campaign=creatorshare_creator&utm_content=copyLink 

Copyright 2026 All rights reserved.

Podcast Powered By Podbean

Version: 20241125