
Jun 27, 2026
Glebe Lands
Mrs. Affray Coming in 1698 made a deed of gift of 17 acres of land to the minister of the church of England in Charles Town and his successors in office. Glebe Lnd in English eccliastical law meaning a glebe is any land belonging to or yielding revenue to a parish church or to a church benefice such as a rectory. St Philips parsonage wasd built on the glebe lands at some point. Rev Alexander Garden who arrived Charles Town in 1719 was the rector of St Philips. In 1744 with contributions from the local people and from the society for the propagation do the gospel of Londen, Commissary Garden established a school fro black and Indian children. in 1770 act of the assembly authorized the opening of streets through the glebe lands and through Harleston village. The Glebe Land were divided in 1770 between St philips and St Michaels church's. in 1797 the parsonage lot at Wentworth and St philip streets were subdivided into 14 lots and blebe Street was cut through the block from wentworth to george Street.
Come Join the Facebook page at Whispers of Charleston : https://www.facebook.com/share/1Kwy2wNjtH/
Follow the Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/whispers_of_charleston?utm_source=qr&igsh=MXY2dnNma3NycHF0ZQ==
Come Join the Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/share/g/1HTUeeqqK4/
Subscribe, Like, and Share the videos: www.youtube.com/@WhispersofCharleston
Join the Patreon Family : https://patreon.com/CharlestonWhispers?utm_medium=unknown&utm_source=join_link&utm_campaign=creatorshare_creator&utm_content=copyLink
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!